Blog Archive

Saturday, June 30, 2007

11) Lucid Dream Recall - Ice Tsunami

6/24/07 2:31 am Ice Tsunami

I have been attempting to use the recommendation of trying to 'get back into the dream-consciousness state of mind' to enhance recall of a lucid dream.

I find my recall is usually done in a backward fashion, with only a few memories of the ending remembered at first. Once I settle into the altered state of intending to recall more details, I can usually start pulling out memories of a previous event, which will then lead to more memories of an even earlier event.

This was how I was able to recall this dream, as I awoke with only the memory of cold water and a huge wave!

The feeling I awoke with was that I was doing something else even prior to this recalled dream sequence, but am unable to remember any earlier events. So, put back in chronological order, the dream goes as such:

My earliest recall starts with the feeling of floating in a body of water, holding onto an older man, trying to help him somehow. We were both floating in a pond or lake that led into a river. As we floated around a curve to the left riding the current, he pointed off to the right where a distance away I could see a little square, boat (?) cushion, floating on the water. He indicated to me that "that’s where the ‘event’ happened." (The feeling I had was that there was a loss of life there).

We are now floating in the faster river portion around an island with a building on it (my feeling was it was a barn-type building). We are being carried along by the current, and my impression was that the water was now dangerous, in the sense that it was very, very, very cold with ice buildup on the edges. The ice extended into the river and under the water on both sides. We were floating into this one open channel, surrounded by ice, and I was relieved to see that we were near a point where we’d be able to climb onto the ice shelf to get out of the river .

All of a sudden, a small piece of the ice shelf breaks off, creating a little wave, and I can feel the up and down movement in the water. I said, “oh great, this isn’t a good thing!” and we continued to drift further, knowing I had to get out of this water because it was just too cold to stay in for long.

I felt it was imperative to get this guy out of here now, when suddenly a huge piece of the ice shelf breaks off underwater below our feet! I remember saying “Oh, no! This is not good!” as it created a huge tsunami-like effect wave that lifted us up very, very high! I said to the man, “Hang on! We are going to take a little ride here!”

We went up so high I remember thinking, “Oh my gosh, this is so high that I know we are going to get hurt when we are dropped down from this height!" (Again, this was a ‘concern for my safety’ trigger that I feel I was supposed to remember I was lucid dreaming at that point!)

Knowing we are going to be slammed into the earth from this height, I was very concerned but also immediately had the knowing that “no, I can control this!” I closed my eyes and repeated to myself over and over, ‘soft and gentle landing’, with full confidence that I could change this scene’s ending. Sure enough, we were ‘softly and gently’ laid upon on the ground and that’s where I woke up in my bed.

I believe I must have fallen right asleep after this, without thinking to record it. Upon awakening at 7am, remembering those few details, I tried the recall method and this is what I got!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Thanks to Holly for this information:

Here's something cool I found out about tsunami's in dreams:

According to Carl Jung, a tsunami dream is very significant. It is one of those great "archetypal" dreams, meaning symbols which are universal across all cultures.

A tsunami is supposed to be a symbol of some great spiritual change, the washing away of the old and the beginnings of new growth.